Top 10 Bearden Sports Moments of 2017
- Caleb Harrington wins 100-yard butterfly to win second state title in a row
After winning the 100-yard butterfly to win a state title in 2016, Caleb Harrington came back to win again with a time of 22.26 seconds.
- Bearden dance wins fifth straight title
State titles for Bearden’s dance team have become pretty common, and when they brought home a fifth straight title in November, it was nothing new.
- Max Grayson finishes runner up in wrestling state tournament
After a strong season, Bearden’s Max Grayson came up just shy of a state tournament.
- Bearden football beats Hardin Valley 42-3
After losing to Hardin Valley for four straight years, Bearden got a win in high scoring fashion. Quarterback Collin Ironside led the team to victory, throwing for 225 yards and three touchdowns.
- Bearden rugby wins state championship
Bearden’s rugby team won a state championship in rugby in November after beating Sumner County, Ravenwood, Riverdale, and Providence Christian Academy.
- Bearden girls tennis finishes runner-up in state championship
Bearden’s girls’ tennis team finished off their season strong in May, finishing runner-up in the state championship to a strong Brentwood team.
- Josh Sobota wins state title in shot put and discus
Josh Sobota finished his dominate track and field season in May with a state title when he won the discus with a distance of 190 feet, 3 inches and the shot put with a distance of 63 feet, 8 inches.
- Bearden boys soccer gets first win over Farragut in five years
Senior Will Lewis and his soccer squad trailed for 60+ minutes of the rivalry game against Farragut, but after the momentum shifted on a goal from Lewis, and Bearden came back to win 3-2.
- Bearden girls soccer beats Farragut to advance to state tournament
Bearden’s girls’ soccer team’s early season loss against Farragut was only motivation for them to win in this sub state game. Junior Emily Carlevato and sophomore Abby Brewer scored a goal each to lead Bearden to victory.
- Bearden boys basketball beats Science Hill to advance to first state tournament in six years
Bearden’s strong 2016-17 basketball team did not let their season end early. Instead, Bearden had a dominant win over Science Hill, winning 86-57 to send them to their first state tournament since 2011.